Friday, July 28, 2006

The "no plan, plan"

My husband and I ride motorcycles. He rides a 2000 Honda VFR and I ride a 2002 VFR. About two years ago we came up with this crazy plan to quit our jobs and ride our bikes for a year. It was a "no plan, plan." Our "plan" was to just ride - no specific destination in mind, just hit the road and follow wherever the front tire led.

It started out with a 5 year plan- we were going to slowly work up to taking off. We'd sell our house, sell what we didn't need and store the rest, quit our jobs, and take off. After a year, we had to add another year to the plan. The first year, we just talked about it between the two of us. The next year we started telling a few select people. Then we actually started planning in earnest.

Once the planning stage really started, we realized we wouldn't be able to take off an entire year. Our finances wouldn't allow for it, so the plan was modified to 3 or 4 months, or until the money ran out.

This month, January, 2006, we both gave notices at our jobs. Due to our positions we felt we needed to give quite advance notice. We'll take off in April or May of 2007. My boss was great, accepted my notice graciously, and thanked me for giving him such advance notice. My husband's boss is trying to work out a deal with my husband for him to take a leave of absence rather than quitting.

Once we know for sure what we're going to do, the planning will move ahead full force.

1 comment:

The Rat said...

I think this is the coolest thing! I saw the url for devlinstravels.blogspot.com on one of your emails to the sabmag list, and checked out your blog. I look forward to reading tales of your adventures. I have my own blog on blogspot, and we have our own story to tell. My wife and I both ride motorcycles too.